Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A spash of color

I started with this worn out piece of furniture, that I found locally. ( It had ugly brass hardware on it but I removed them before I remembered to take the pic.). when I found this piece I saw so much potential but I wasn't sure of it's origianl purpose, but I loved the deminsions and style. It was too tall for a night stand or living room side table.But I knew it would be great as a serving station/ buffet, entry way table or even as a TV stand.
Before

Inspiration piece
  Then after doing some research on pintrist and a local antique stores for similar pieces I found out it is really similar to several of the old dry sink or washstands I saw, so that's what I am calling it. I got my inspiration from this piece to the right and decided to go bold with color.  So I used an avocado/pee-green. The piece was very worn and the wood needed very little prep just a light hand sand and dusting with a wet rag. Then I applied the paint in a nice thick coat (I used a flat Martha Stewart wall paint). After that I distressed and sanded the edges to give it the old country or rustic inspired look, which I just love on this piece. Lastly I wanted to try a bit of faux glaze for effect and to fallow my inspiration piece. so I mixed some bear glaze with a dark brown paint and then liberally applied it to the piece. It really helped tone down the green while giving it a rustic aged look. I was really happy with the way it turned out. And although I have put this one in my house because I love it so much it is still for sale! check it out in my online store.





After



3 comments:

  1. I recognize your inspiration piece. Have you thought about getting a booth with us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brie, I was looking on Pinterest and noticed my green wash stand. I painted it about 3 years ago and actually had it in a booth in Sharpsburg. I was so excited to see that you used it as an inspiration piece. You did a beautiful job on yours as well. My name is April Waller and I will be following your blog from now on. I have other pieces that I have painted if you would like to see them. Thank you again......April

      Delete
  2. I really like your work. We have a lot in common...I have been looking and purchasing small pieces of furniture that need "updating" and am going to start working on them soon. Do you also re-cover your own chair seat covers? Where do you get most of your ideas from and how long have you been doing this? Thanks...Stephanie

    ReplyDelete